PermaTimber - Ground contact timber fencing
We're innovating to give you the choices you deserve
PermaTimber is a range of pressure treated timber products that is guaranteed against fungal decay and wood destroying insects for 15 years and carries WPA Benchmark approval. It is specifically designed for use in ground contact (i.e. fence posts, sleepers, decking joists and posts etc) and is produced using either kiln dried Pine, Larch and Douglas fir or incised Spruce.
Our PermaTimber range is WPA Benchmark approved and our incised posts have been independently assessed by the BRE:
"We conclude that Walford Timber incised spruce fence posts treated with Celcure AC500 in accordance with the manufacturers instructions meet the requirements BS8714(2011) for a desired service life of 15 years (Use Class 4)" - Dr. Ed Suttie, Director, BRE
The Incising Process
Incising, as the name suggests, is the process of cutting many small incisions into the surface of the post in order to let the preservative treatment enter more freely. We incise to a depth of around 10mm which is particularly important for impermeable species such as Spruce and Larch. We generally incise the bottom 800mm of the post to protect the area that is in contact with the ground as this is the vulnerable area.
This process allows us to treat these timbers to the British Standard BS 8417, something that would otherwise be virtually impossible to achieve.
We were the first company in the UK to develop this process for the use of sawn fence posts, including the development of the machinery required to carry this process out. Coupled with our nationally recognised treatment process allows us to offer a 15 year guarantee on these fence posts.
4 main benefits of choosing PermaTimber products:
- Guarantee - PermaTimber products are guaranteed against fungal decay and wood destroying insects for 15 years.
- Peace of Mind - When purchasing timber that is to be used in ground contact, why leave it to chance? PermaTimber products are WPA Benchmark approved.
- Value - The majority of cost when installing timber products is usually labour costs. If timber has to be replaced earlier than expected this can be time consuming and costly. Therefore, PermaTimber products represent great value for money when considering the whole-life cost of your products.
- Sustainable - All PermaTimber products are from FSC Certified sources, meaning they come from well managed sustainable forests.
Due to the drying and incising processes and the use of correct and monitored treatment practices, the preservative is able to penetrate further into the timber. Deeper treatment penetration at the correct loadings offers a proven service life of at least 15 years.
* Penetration pattern will vary from post to post
|Use Class (UC)||Use|
|1||Above ground, covered. Permanently dry, insect risk.|
|2||Above ground, covered. Occasional risk of wetting.|
|3a||Above ground, coated. Exposed to frequent wetting.|
|3b||Above ground, unccoated. Exposed to frequent wetting.|
|4||In contact with ground or fresh water. Permanently exposed to wetting.|